Philly by any other name smells just as rank.
Intertubes from Philly-based ISP seem to be back up. Maybe.
Everything went out at around 0100. I’ve been up and down trying to get it working ever since.
What can you do.
The appointment for the tech tomorrow is going to stay on. Still getting well below what we should be getting, but at least there’s something.
I am tired, but I think I’m going to try to stay awake until
Going to recycle a survey from 2005…
Questions in bold, old responses in italics, new in plain text….
1. What’s the last thing you ate?
Beef Jerkey. Yes, I know, nutritious, but I can sleep, so I went to the store.
A Coconut Built Bar.
2. What’s your favourite cheese?
Probably Monterey Jack.
3. What’s your favourite fish?
Oh, I don’t know that I have a favorite. I’m not much a fan of striped bass, but I like pretty much anything else. Probably, locally, my fave is flounder. I like fried mullet when I’m back home (yes, we eat mullet down there, stop laughing, it’s really good)
Kind of open to any and all these days
4. What’s your favourite fruit?
Don’t eat much these days. I like various berries.
5. When, if ever, did you start liking olives?
I’ve always liked green olives. I’d steal them out of my mom’s martini glass when I was very young (like four). Black olives I developed a taste for sometime later.
Unchanged. My wife, who I don’t think was very big on them when we got together, has introduced me to a bunch of different ones.
6. When, if ever, did you start liking beer?
Around fourteen, when it became legal for me to drink it.
Don’t think that’s changed.
7. When, if ever, did you start liking shellfish?
I’m a fuckin’ Cajun. I didn’t have a choice.
I’ll eat pretty much everything out of the water.
8. What was the best thing your mum/dad/guardian used to make?
My mom is a great cook; it’s really hard to pick just one thing. I think she’s most proud of her Pecan pies.
I’d rather not talk about this.
9. What’s the native specialty of your hometown?
Hm. That’s a good question.
I really still have no idea.
10. What’s your comfort food?
11. What’s your favourite type of chocolate?
Oh, without a doubt, Kinder Schokolade. Link if you speak German. I haven’t been able to find it here in a very long time.
No idea if that link still works. My take on chocolate has changed since seeing a Shmoocon presentation years ago.
12. How do you like your steak?
rare to medium rare
13. How do you like your burger?
well-done with cheese.
I’ll take just about anything at this point. I don’t want an egg on it, though.
14. How do you like your eggs?
in the recipe enough where I can’t taste them. gaggs are nasty.
See last. I still don’t like eggs. Or avocadoes.
15. How do you like your potatoes?
Kartofflen Knodel (German potato dumplings)
I’m also really fond of bratkartofflen, although I haven’t been able to find a good recipe for it. Essentially, it’s potatoes that are boiled until they’re pretty much cooked, then diced and fried with onions and parsley in bacon grease. Healthy!
Not real particular.
16. How do you take your coffee?
I don’t at all anymore.
17. How do you take your tea?
Not big on tea, either.
Really depends. I still don’t drink very much at all. I did home some sweetened tea when I was down in the Gulf Coast Autonomous Zone a couple of weeks ago. Just regular sweetened. My mother, the native, had unsweetended. I don’t know if that was a dietary restriction, or what.
18. What’s your favourite mug?
Being neither a coffee or tea drinker, I’d have to say a beer mug.
Yeah, I’m not sure what this is about. I do like my Initech coffee mug, though it is a little small.
19. What’s your biscuit or cookie of choice?
I really don’t eat those too often anymore. I did have some mildly-ginger-flavored breakfast things the other day.
20. What’s your ideal breakfast?
Yeah, I have no idea why I answered it that way back then. These days, I rarely have anything more than coffee.
21. What’s your ideal sandwich?
Fried Shrimp Po’ Boy, dressed and pressed.
22. What’s your ideal pizza?
Pepperoni on a crust that’s thin, but not flaky in the middle, then yeasty on the outside. There’s a couple of greek places around here who get it right.
23. What’s your ideal pie (sweet or savoury)?
Key Lime. omgjizz
Uh? I’m still partial to Key Lime, though.
24. What’s your ideal salad?
Never been real big on salad. It’s kind of something that fills you up so you don’t eat too much good food.
I’m really awed these days by professionally-prepared AND DRESSED salads. To me, that’s a sign that you’ve got a kitchen staff with half a clue. All you need to add, as the eater, is maybe some salt and pepper.
25. What food do you always like to have in the fridge?
26. What food do you always like to have in the freezer?
I really don’t have a big freezer. I do like to have some vanilla ice cream.
27. What food do you always like to have in the cupboard?
There it is.
28. What spices can you not live without?
Salt, pepper, tabasco, cayenne, file.
Pretty much salt and pepper. I do like to have some hot sauces around.
29. What sauces can you not live without?
Probably canned tomato, because when I cook, I tend to use it a lot.
See last. I like a variety of hot sauces these days.
30. Where do you buy most of your food?
My wife is adamant about doing all of it, herself.
31. What piece of kitchen equipment could you not live without?
Nothing, really. I do love, however, my fryer, and my George Foreman grill. Especially the latter…the neighbors look at you really weird when you fire up the gas grill outside at three in the morning.
Same. I would say I use either my cast iron skillet or my kettle most often.
32. What meats have you eaten besides cow, pig and poultry?
Lamb/mutton, squirrel, deer, opossum, turtle, alligator, snake, rabbit, snails, fish eggs.
There’s been others I should probably add, but they’re not coming immediately to mind at the moment.
33. What’s the thing you ate that you picked in the wild?
Oh, lots of things, but mostly blackberries when I was a kid in Germany. Too many will do severe intestinal damage, however. Don’t eat too many!
I honestly have no idea.
34. Arrange the following in order of preference: Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Sushi:
(honestly, I’m not really that fond of the last two at all)
Indian, Thai, Sushi, Chinese, Mexican, Italian
35. Arrange the following in order of preference: Vodka, Whiskey, Brandy, Rum:
(Had a real bad time with Brandy once….)
I don’t know that I can really rank this anymore. When it comes to distilled liquor, I would say my most frequently-consumed is Gin.
36. Arrange the following in order of preference: Garlic, Basil, Caramel, Lime, Mint, Ginger:
I can’t answer this question, honestly. They’re too different.
37. Arrange the following in order of preference: Pineapple, Orange, Apple, Strawberry, Cherry, Watermelon, Banana:
I don’t know that I’d change this.
38. What’s your fast food restaurant of choice, and what do you usually order?
Of choice? Hmmm….I would probably have to go with Sonic and a chili dog with tater tots. I hardly ever get over there, however, as whenever I’m doing fast food it’s like 2am. Taco Bell is the only thing open.
I eat so little fast food these days it’s almost now worth answering. That said, when doing fast food, I try to go with whatever is the signature thing of whatever place I’m ordering from.
39. What’s the next thing you’ll eat?
NFC. Supposed to go out to dinner with friends, but don’t know where.
I think my wife has something planned for dinner tonight. She was supposed to be making, I think, Ratatouille. Or maybe some fish. Dunno.
40. What do you normally have for breakfast?
Normally just coffee.
41. What do you normally have for lunch?
If I have anything, it’s pretty small. Nuts.
42. What do you normally have for dinner?
Nada. I eat one meal a day, spread out by courses that I eat at work. I normally have a starch of some kind that I eat first (rice, potatoes, corn, bag of chips…), shortly after I get to work at 9pm. Around midnight, I have whatever hot thing I’ve brought with me (soup, or some leftovers….anything I can throw in the microwave). Around 2:30, I’ll have my snack, which is something sweeter….peanut butter crackers, piece of fruit, or if i’m being bad (or was in a hurry), a candy bar. :-/
43. What do you normally have for snacks?
See above. Although if I’m starving some other time, I try to go with something that’s high energy…..hence the beef jerky, peanuts, that sort of thing.
Nuts, yogurt, protein bars, cheese.
44. The four veggies you like most are:
Gonna go full pedant here; peppers are a fruit.
45. What fruit and vegetable do you like the least?
I hate cantaloupe…for the veggies….would have to be the squashes (although I guess those are fruits, too, technically). Eggplant, zucchini, ick.
Yeah, I’m not sure that this is really accurate. I’ll try just about anything.
46. What’s your favourite chocolate bar?
Mr. Goodbar. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanuts.
I’m surprised I said this back then, but it’s still true.
47. What’s your favourite dessert?
I’m a sucker for custard-like things. Like I said above…key lime pie, cheesecake, that sort of thing.
Still. I’ve gained appreciation for things like bread pudding, too.
48. What’s your favourite drink?
bleifrei: Diet Dr. Pepper
straight: Single Malt Scotch.
Non-alcoholic: Water. Mixed: Gin and Tonic. Straight: I’ve become particularly fond of Port lately.
49. What’s your favourite snack?
Dunno. Probably something with peanuts. Like I said, peanut butter crackers, payday bar, straight roasted peanuts…
50. What’s your favourite gum flavour?
51. What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?
I absolutely lurve Baskin Robbins’ “World Class Chocolate.”
I really appreciate a quality vanilla these days.
52. What’s your favourite potato chip flavour?
Sour Cream and Onion
Really depends. If that’s all that I’m eating, I’d still go with the SC&O.
53. What’s your favourite soup?
File (I don’t remember the little accent symbol right now) Gumbo….chicken and andouille.
Really like just about anything these days.
54. What food do you hate?
Yesh. I still don’t like eggs. That said, I could probably choke down quiche more-easily than, say, some done over-easy.
55. What’s your favourite restaurant?
There’s this little pub I like to go to up the road a bit. It’s cheap, they’ve got good beer, and a fireplace on cold nights. (A couple of you will probably know what I’m talking about when I say it’s at the foot of the Coleman Bridge).
Yeah, I know what I was talking about there. No, it’s definitely not that anymore. Considering what I might like for my birthday. Hmm. Bistrot du Coin? Maybe. The local Indian joint that delivers? Probably more likely.
Now on to try to enjoy the rest of the day. Or go back to sleep for a while. Either/or.